SUPER YACHT STEWARDESS/STEWARD TRAINING COURSE
MCA approved International Yacht Training for Stewardesses and Stewards
The Superyacht Crew Academy Maritime Yacht Stewardess course is an entry level into the world of superyachts. Successful completion of this course will allow you to work as a interior crew yacht stewardess on superyachts of any size anywhere in the world.
- IYT Worldwide certificate for Professional Superyacht Interior Crew
- IYT Word wide Small Power Boat & RIB Master certificate (MCA approved)
This 3 or 5 day course places great emphasis on the essentials of good service as well as giving you the theoretical and practical skills necessary to be an active crew member onboard a superyacht.
Our Internationally Recognised Certifications are your entrée to getting a job aboard a Superyacht
The IYT Professional Superyacht Interior Crew certification is the only internationally recognised qualification for superyacht interior crews. Your graduation certificate will be accredited by International Yacht Training (IYT) Worldwide, who has recognition with 25 governments across the globe. The RIB tender certificate is approved by the Maritime Coastguard Agency (MCA).
In addition, Superyacht Crew Academy is an Australian Nationally Recognised Training Organisation and if you complete the STCW 95 training with us you will also qualify for a ‘CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCY’ known as the BASIC ELEMENTS OF SHIPBOARD SAFETY or Certificate 1 in Transport & Distribution (Maritime Operations). This certificate will be issued by the NSW Roads and Maritime Services and will allow you to work on Australian commercial vessels.
The Superyacht Crew Academy has established over the years a global network with leading recruitment agencies overseas and within Australia. All of these Superyacht Crew recruitment agencies ‘acknowledge’ and welcome the IYT Professional Superyacht Interior Crew certification.
Guaranteed Work Experience before heading overseas.
Immediately after the training course, deckhands and steward/ess will have the opportunity to gain work experience face to face with guests. This is a great way to put your newfound skills into play cruising Sydney Harbour and it will be a real bonus for your resume to have your guest service with sea miles logged off by the Captain.
This is the entry level course for superyacht crew and anyone with a reasonable command of the English language, who is over 18 years old, in good health, and without colour blindness can sign up for the course.
Either before or after you start your Steward/ess training you will need to have completed a six day STCW 95 Basic Safety Course (Standards of Training Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers), that is compulsory for all crew on superyachts.
The STCW 95 gives you the minimum standard of qualification required to work on vessels of any size and equips you with a detailed understanding of what to do in the event of marine emergencies.
Superyacht Crew Academy conducts regular STCW 95 courses in Sydney during which you will study safety and sea survival, first aid and CPR, fire fighting including use of breathing apparatus and personal and social responsibilities and vessel security. The STCW 95 can be packaged with the Steward/ess course or you can do the two separately.
An excellent steward/ess is polite, well groomed and lively. The skills needed to perform a stewardess job are not difficult to learn but the attitude and art of good service is something that takes training and practice. A stewardess requires a blend of responsibility, maturity and self-discipline along with a great sense of humour and pride of exceptional performance with meticulous attention to detail both in assigned duties and in personal presentation.
Some of the skills and knowledge necessary to be a steward/ess are
- Security, confidentiality and privacy issues
- Professional etiquette in communication, personal hygiene, appearance and attitude
- International protocol and correct forms of address
- All styles of food service and entertainment planning
- Provisioning and product inventories
- Decanting, purchasing, service and storage of fine wines
- Impeccable care of exotic furnishings, finishes and fabrics
- Total laundry procedures
- Floral Arrangement
- Guest care and valet services
Steward/Stewardess Superyacht Interior Crew Training Course Options
5 Day Complete Stewardess Training Course: Most captains require all members of their crew to be able to operate the superyacht tender, to use a VHF radio and to know the basic rules that govern life aboard a ship. The complete training course makes certain you will stand out from other new comers to the industry when you start hunting for a position on a Superyacht. In addition to learning essential skills for achiving excellence as an interior crew member you will learn the basic rules for working aboard a superyacht plus obtain an internationally recognised RIB small power boat certificate and instruction on operating VHF radios.
During the full 5 day training course Deckhand and Steward/ess crew train in their roles in a 'simulated superyacht environment' interacting with each other onboard during the seamanship and RIB small power boat practical.
3 Day Essential Skills for Stewardess: If you already have, or do not wish to obtain, the RIB small power boat certificate and VHF radio training and if you already are familiar with the rules for crew members aboard Superyachts, you can take a 3 day essential skills course (the last three days of the complete course) with Silver Service including Russian/ French plate service, interior specific detailing /housekeeping, visiting a cellar for wine tasting and European wine knowledge. Hands on practical excursion and demonstration of flower artistry taught by our professional florists. We offer and include ‘one on one’ Resume formatting and creatively written cover letters so you are ready to apply for your crew position.
2 Day Industry Rules and Seamanship: If you already have hospitality training covering the essential stewardess skills presented in the last three days of the training course (shown below), perhaps from hospitality experience in hotels, resorts or restaurants, you can take a 2 day Industry Rules and Seamanship course to upgrade your hospitality skills for the superyacht industry.
Program for the superyacht stewardess/steward training course
The Superyacht Industry Introduction and RIB tender driving
Morning - Theory
- Number & type of yachts
- Flag State Registrations
- Private & Commercial yachts
- STCW 95 & Nautical qualification
- Chain of Command
- Rank & Position
- Crew Agreements
- Personal Appearance & Hygiene
- Rules Onboard
- Nautical / Military time
- Vendor Contracts
- Guest Arrival
- Preference forms
- Small power boat and RIB Driving theory
- Basic Safety
- Collision Regulations
- IALA buoyage
- Lights/sound signals
- Knot tying
Basic seamanship / RIB tender driving
Morning - Practical
- RIB Boat handling under power
- Coming alongside & clearing
- Tying up
- Dock departure & arrival
- MOB procedures
- Engine check
- Anchors & anchoring
- Dinghy launching & recovery
Afternoon - Theory
- VHF radio operation
- Phonetic alphabet
- Mayday procedures
- Nautical terminology
- Bridge equipment
RIB theory exam
Silver Service - Practical service & application including lunch
- Formal dinner: setup & service
- Identification glassware, cutlery & service utensils
- Care and storage of fine China, Silverware, Stemware
- Serving Order and tips
- Meal sequence, clearing order
- Plated & other types of Service
- Silver Service: Russian and French – demonstration and practice
- Chef prepared lunch for students to enjoy and practical silver-service
- In-cabin/tray Service
- Buffet setups, Parties, Picnics, Afternoon tea service
- Caviar Service: Russian/French
- Food Safety & Hygiene
- Various diets – vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim & others
Interior detailing, laundry/valet, napkin folding decorating tables and floral arrangements
- Daily Scheduling
- Cleaning standards & supplies
- Cleaning: with guests onboard and in non-guest periods
- Practical: Cabin cleaning, bed making, & turn-down service
- Laundry products and stain removal advice and hints for success
- Valet services: shoe care, packing
- Practical: ironing crew uniforms
- Florist market visit
- Flower appreciation & caring for flowers
- Hints on floral arrangements & vases
- Practical floral arranging
- Practical: Napkin folding, decorating theme tables
Other services, wine appreciation, bartending and cocktails
- Wine Service and Decanting demonstration
- Champagne Service
- Barista Basics Practical: Coffee making styles, cappuccinos, espresso
- Wine experience – visit to local Cellars for wine and cheese tasting
- Cheese Service
- Fruit Basket presentation
- Cigar Service
- Bar drinks/cocktails service plus demonstration DVD
- Beverage Provisioning
- Final certification exam assessment
- Certificate presentation and log book sign off, photos
- Questions and Discussion
Chief Stewardess Course
Do you already have a year of experience as a stewardess and are ready to take the next step? Yacht Chief Stewardess.
What other qualifications will I need?
Stewardesses and Stewards also require STCW 95+10 certification. Superyacht Crew Academy can assist with this requirement if you are not already qualified.
When do the courses run?
See the reservation form below. You can take the 5 day course all at once or one day at a time to suit your time frame.
Where do the courses take place?
The course is run from the Superyacht Crew Academy's modern new hospitality training annexe in Warriewood and our headquarters at Newport Anchorage Marina, Newport, 45mins North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, Superyacht Training Facilities
How much do the courses cost? -
- 5 Day Complete Steward/ess training package - The complete training package and most likely to put you at the head of the list for crew positions. Includes CD manual; practical; theory; RIB power boat & interior crew certificates.
AUD $1550 (Package Price if booked with STCW 95+10 $3370 – saving $175)
- 3 Day Essential Skills Course - (Days 3 to 5 in the course summary) For people with existing skills in seamanship and experience with the superyacht insustry.
- 2 Day Industry Rules and Seamanship Course - (Days 1 and 2 in the course summary) For people with existing essential skills in the hospitality industry
SPECIAL STEWARD/ESS & STCW 95+10 PACKAGE OFFER!!
Save $175 by reserving the STCW 95+10 course at the same time you reserve full 5 Day Stewardess course. To get the discount select a suitable date for both the stewardess 5-day training course and the STCW95+10 reservation boxes in the sign up form below.
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.