AUSTRALIAN MARINE ENGINE DRIVER GRADE 3 TRAINING COURSE
MAR20413 – Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal)
The Australian Marine Engine Driver Class 3 Near Coastal qualification will enable you to work in the following capacity:
- Chief Engineer on a vessel with an inboard engine with propulsion power <500 kW in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Second Engineer (second in charge of the engine room) on a vessel with an inboard engine with propulsion power <750 kW in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on a vessel with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Assist an engineer in any tasks that may be required on board while working under the direct supervision of the person in charge of the vessel’s engines
- Work in the engine room of a vessel <80 m long with propulsion power <3000 kW.
You Will Learn:
The combination theory and practical course incorporates both design, operation and maintenance knowledge of main propulsion and ancillary equipment, auxiliary systems, extra-low voltage electrical systems, work health and safety, marine environmental legislation compliance and sustainability.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE (MARINE ENGINE DRIVER GRADE 3 NC) CERTIFICATE II:
Currently, there are no entry requirements set by the AMSA for this particular course, however, we do recommend equivalent proficiency in maths and English to a year 10 level. Each student is required to undertake a prescribed Language, Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (LLN).
- Certificate II in Maritime operations (provided at the successful completion of the course)
- HLTAID003 certificate of competency Provide first aid
- Eyesight Test Certificate
- Medical declaration
- 16 years old
The qualifying sea service must be completed while performing any of the following duties: general purpose hand; Coxswain Grade 1 NC or Coxswain Grade 2 NC certificate; assistant to an engine driver, to a chief engineer or to a second engineer.
You will need either:
- 20 days of qualifying sea service on commercial vessels with propulsion power >75 kw that includes at least 10 days on vessels with inboard diesel engines and a completed AMSA approved TASK Book
- or 60 days of qualifying sea service on either recreational or commercial vessels with propulsion power <75 kw that includes at least 30 days on vessels with inboard diesel engines without the need for an AMSA approved TASK Book.
*TASK Books may be purchased from head office.
Download the AMSA notes for more information on requirements.
Before you can enroll in this course you must download and read the following PDF files for details on course information, enrolment and obtaining your USI number. Click on the file names to download them.
THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE MARINE ENGINE DRIVER GRADE 3 TRAINING COURSE
There are a total of 12 theory and practical training units of competency for MAR20413 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal). When you have successfully completed the 12 units of competency and had your seatime approved by Roads and Maritime Services, you will be eligible to take the oral examination with Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).
UNITS OF COMPETENCY COVERED:Engineering Elements
- MARB003 Service marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARC001 Complete engine room tasks
- MARC002 Maintain hull out of water
- MARC003 Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- MARC004 Operate deck machinery
- MARC007 Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARJ001 Follow environmental work practices
- BSBWOR203B Work effectively with others
- MARF001 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 Survive at sea using survival craft
The Course is 8 days or 14 days if you do not already hold the Shipboard Safety Skill Set units of competency as outlined below.
- Week 1: Tuesday – Friday (4 days)
- Week 2: Monday – Thursday (4 days)
- Week 3: Monday - Saturday (6 days - if required for Shipboard Safety Skill Set units of competency)
Students who have completed the Shipboard Safety Skill Set MARSS00008 will be given credit transfer for the following units and must provide a certified copy of their academic transcript:
- MARF001 - Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 - Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 - Survive at sea using survival craft
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us CLICK HERE
Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 NC - Please call us 02 9979 9669 to see if you are eligible for a NSW government Smart and Skilled subsidy to offset part of the cost of this training programme.
WITH SMART AND SKILLED SUBSIDY
MED Grade 3 NC - $1010*
*(subject to Smart and Skilled student eligibility)
MED3 Grade NC - $2,495 (National Qualification Only)
$2,250 without Shipboard Safety Skill Set
ADDITIONAL PRICES - OPTIONAL
|AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment – part of course OR independent||$495|
|LROCP Marine Radio||$210|
|Coxswain Grade 1 NC – AMSA Task Book||$40|
|Provide First Aid – HLTAID003 (included in IYT STCW95+10 course)||$395|
|Recognition of Prior Learning Fee (RPL)||$425|
**If you are a resident of NSW, or work in NSW, you may be eligible for the NSW Government Smart and Skilled subsidy programme.
Completing the course does not guarantee passing the examination by the NSW Roads and Maritime Services. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.