AUSTRALIAN COXSWAIN TRAINING COURSE
MAR20313 - Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
Coxswain up to 12m Near Coastal
The Australian Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal qualification will enable you to command Australian Registered commercial or private vessels less than 12m long with an outboard engine of any power or with an inboard engine of less than 500kW (670 hp). The vessel must be operated within 12nm of the coastline or, if the vessel is a tender or auxiliary vessel, it may operate within 3 nm of the parent vessel anywhere in the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
When you obtain a Certificate of Competency as an Australian Coxswain, you can be the master or engineer of a fishing or trading vessel less than 12 metres in length operating within 15nm of the coastline. The vessel may have an outboard motor of any power, but if it has an inboard motor it must have less than 500 kW (670 hp). This includes:
- Commercial fishing vessels
- Charter fishing boats
- Police or other government boats
- Passenger charter yachts
- Water Taxis and more...
You will learn:
- Practical skills in coastal navigation and seamanship using a range of vessels.
- Practical firefighting and survival skills required for safety at sea.
- Practical mechanic and engineering skills for boats.
- Health, safety and environmental work pactices aboard a vessel.
Requirements for the issue of the final AMSA Certificate of Competency (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal):
- Certificate II in Maritime operations (provided at the successful completion of the course);
- Successfully pass the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment – AMPA (included as part of the course for an additional fee).
- HLTAID003 statement of attainment Provide first aid;
- Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency; (LROCP)
- Eyesight Test Certificate;
- Self declaration of medical fitness (completed on AMSA426 COC application form)
- 16 years old.
You will need either:
- 30 days sea time on commercial vessels over 5 metres long. Plus a completed AMSA approved TASK Book which must be done onboard a commercial vessel
- OR 240 days sea time on vessels over 5 meters long which may be accrued on recreational vessels without an AMSA TASK Book.
*TASK Books may be purchased from Superyacht Crew Academy.
Before you can enroll in this course you must download and read the following PDF files for details on course information, enrolment and obtaining your USI number. Click on the file names to download them.
The main features of the Coxswain Near Coastal training Course
There are a total of 12 theory and practical training units of competency for MAR20313 - CERTIFICATE II MARITIME OPERATIONS COXSWAIN GRADE 1 NEAR COASTAL.
When you have successfully completed the 12 units of competency, completed the AMPA, met the requirements and accrued the sea service you will be eligible to lodge your Certificate of Competency application to AMSA for the Coxswain Grade 1 NC COC.
Shipboard Safety Skill Set theory and practical
MARF001 - Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
MARF002 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
MARF004 - Meet work health and safety requirements
MARF005 - Survive at sea using survival craft
HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid
Onwater practical with classroom theory
MARI001 - Comply with regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 12 metres
MARK001 - Handle a vessel up to 12 metres
MARN002 - Apply seamanship skills aboard a vessel up to 12 metres
Engineering theory classroom based with Practical Assessments on different vessels and their engines
MARB002 – Perform basic servicing and maintenance of main propulsion unit and auxiliary systems
MARC005 - Operate inboard and outboard motors
MARC006 - Operate main propulsion unit and auxiliary systems
MARH001 - Plan and navigate a passage for a vessel up to 12 metres
MARJ001 - Follow environmental work practices
The Course is 25 Days (4.5 weeks)
- Week 1: Monday-Saturday
- Week 2: Monday-Sunday
- Week 3: Tuesday-Saturday
- Week 4: Monday-Friday (Radio will be completed this Sunday if required)
- Week 5: Monday-Tuesday
Students who have already completed the STCW/Shipboard Safety skill set will be given credit transfer for the following units:
- MARF001 - Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 - Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 - Survive at sea using survival craft
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us CLICK HERE
CERTIFICATION YOU WILL ACHIEVE
All successful graduates receive two national qualifications to work in Australia. PLUS, three international certificates recognized by the MCA, US Coast Guard, 25 governments, and all major international crew placement agencies.
AMSA – National
- MAR20313 Certificate II in Maritime Operations to apply for a Coxswain Grade 1 NC. This AMSA qualification is not recognised for working overseas and is only valid in Australia.
- MAR10313 Certificate I in Maritime Operations to apply for a General Purpose Hand NC. This AMSA qualification is not recognised for working overseas and is only valid in Australia.
IYT - International (Optional)
- IYT STCW95+10
- MCA approved IYT Superyacht Deck Crew including Small Powerboat & RIB Master
- IYT VHF Radio Operator
Coxswain NC - Please call us 02 9979 9669 to see if you are eligible for a NSW government Smart and Skilled subsidy to offset part of the cost of this training programme.
COXSWAIN TRAINING PRICES
WITH SMART AND SKILLED SUBSIDY
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC - $1010*
*(subject to Smart and Skilled student eligibility)
Add International Qualifications:
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC - $3,450 (National Qualifications Only)
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC, plus INTERNATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS - $6,450
ADDITIONAL PRICES - OPTIONAL
|AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment – part of course OR independent||$495|
|LROCP Marine Radio||$210|
|Coxswain Grade 1 NC – AMSA Task Book||$40|
|Provide First Aid – HLTAID003 (included in IYT STCW95+10 course)||$395|
|Recognition of Prior Learning Fee (RPL)||$425|
**If you are a resident of NSW, or work in NSW, you may be eligible for the NSW Government Smart and Skilled subsidy programme.
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.