As of 2017, many charter & insurance companies stipulate that you will need BOTH an (ICC) International Certificate of Competency and an IYT International Bareboat Skipper or equivalent qualification to skipper a pleasure yacht or yacht tender in Europe. Some customers have had their charters cancelled because they have only held an ICC.

It is imperative that you check with your charter company in advance of your charter to make sure that you hold the required qualifications.

ICC - The Eurpoean Pleasure Boat Licence

The International Certificate of Competence, referred to under its official title as the International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft, is known to most as the ICC. The ICC qualification provides government officials and charter boat companies with verification that a skipper is qualified to operate most vessels on both inland and coastal waters in a large part of the European Union.

Candidates who successfully complete the modules required to obtain the International Bareboat Skipper may be automatically awarded the ICC.Some Superyacht Crew Academy course will also qualify you for this optional certificate as outlined below.

In the past, if you were chartering in Europe, an International Certificate of Competency (ICC) may have been sufficient proof of your ability to safely operate a boat.

However, it has recently been brought to our attention that a number of European charter companies and insurance companies will not accept an ICC as sufficient proof to command a yacht for a one week bareboat charter (power or sail). These companies are insisting that the charterer should hold IYT International Bareboat Skipper, power or sail, or equivalent or higher qualification that is on their “approved” list.

The IYT ICC can be obtained at the Superyacht Crew Academy for all Australian, New Zealand, British, United States, and most other Non-European Union citizens. In accordance with UNECE Resolution 40 (Revision 4), however, citizens and residents of some European countries (listed below), cannot be issued with an ICC from the Superyacht Crew Academy, will be obliged to obtain an ICC from their own national issuing authority. These countries are:

  • Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia**
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • South Africa
  • Switzerland
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom***
**The government of Latvia has given written permission for IYT to issue ICCs to their own nationals and residents

*** IYT has been authorised to issue ICC’s to United Kingdom Nationals for the past 16 years which are issued on behalf of the British Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA). Reference: UNECE Resolution 40 document

If a citizen of one of these countries, however, can provide dual citizenship or proof of residency for a country not of this list, they will be able to obtain an IYT ICC from the Superyacht Crew Academy.

The certificate expires in 5 years but can be renewed.


The ICC lists your qualifications and may have more than one endorsement.

Endorsements include:

  • (Power -24m) for any power driven vessel up to 24 metres.
  • (Power -10m) for any power driven vessel up to 10 metres.
  • (Sail – 24m & Power 10m ) Sail vessel up to 24 metres. (Must include Power 10m for operating tender to and from shore).
  • (PWC) for personal water craft.
  • (Coastal waters) for coastal passages only.
  • (Coastal and inland) for use in the inland waterways of Europe as well as coastal. A CEVNI exam must also be successfully completed.


The CENVI exam is required for the Inland Waters Endorsement. This is not a normal part of your IYT training, so you will need to pass a written exam on navigating in the inland waters - canals and rivers - of Europe. You can take the examination at the Superyacht Crew Academy.

Download the relevant rules and regulations here. This is the full official document. There is a lot of information here you will not need to know for the CENVI examination.

Download the Annexes with the images here. This file includes Annexes 3 to 8 (pages 103 to 191) of the CENVI exam with the images and diagrams of the lights, signals, signs and markers used in the inland waterways in Europe. This is the material you will be tested on.

Applying for an ICC.

If you already have an IYT certification

If you are already a holder of an International Yacht Training certificate, you can obtain an ICC without the need for an additional ICC assessment. Visit IYT’s website directly and apply for the equivalent ICC endorsement as outlined below.

IYT Course ICC Certification/Endorsement
IYT Small Powerboat & RIB Master Power -10
IYT International Bareboat Skipper Sail Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m
IYT International Bareboat Skipper Power Power -24m, -80gt
IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/ Mate 200 Tons Sail Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m
IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/ Mate 200 Tons Power Power -24m, -80gt
IYT Master of Yachts Limited Sail  Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m
IYT Master of Yachts Limited Power Power -24m, -80gt
IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited  Dependent on seatime experience


Please inform us if you require an ICC when you arrive for your course. On completion of the course we will send your application to IYT headquarters.

Endorsements on the ICC will reflect the course you have completed.

If you want the inland waterways endorsement you will also need to take an extra 4 hour CEVNI theory course and examination.

Applicants must supply:

  • IYT Identification number (can be created if required)
  • A scanned copy of passport or national identification

There is a registration fee of AUD$150 for the ICC.

The Inland Waterways Endorsement course and examination is AUD$125

If you are an experienced Skipper without IYT certification

If you are an already skilled yachtsman and require the International Bareboat Skipper & International Certificate of Competency (ICC) certificates for bareboat chartering overseas, you can undergo a private day of theory exams and a practical on-water assessment with the Superyacht Crew Academy.

Applicants must supply:

  • IYT Identification number (can be created if required)
  • A scanned copy of passport or national identification

The 6 hour on-water practical assessment, theory exams, and certificates is AUD$960.

Training Location

The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, CLICK HERE

Sign on now!

Already have an IYT Certification – Apply directly with IYT on their website

Add the ICC CERTIFICATE to your Superyacht Crew Academy Course - ICC Registration Cost AUD$150

Experienced Skipper Without IYT Certification - Private On-water Practical Assessment and Theory Exams Cost AUD$960

Additional Inland Waterways CEVNI Endorsement - Course and Examination Cost AUD$135

All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.




Street/PO Box:









Date of Birth


ICC Registration and Examinations

(click in the box below to select the option you would like)

When would you like to schedule your appointment?

Please enter any further information or requests here:

(required) I have read and agree to the conditions of the booking form and the legal disclaimer (click here to read)

This reservation is not confirmed until we contact you directly.
By clicking on the Reserve Now button you affirm that you have read and agree to the conditions of the booking form and the legal disclaimer.


Image verification

Phone: International + 612 9979 9669 Fax: International + 61 (2) 9979 3463
e-mail us - click here:
Postal Address: Superyacht Crew Academy
PO Box 593, Newport, NSW, 2106, Australia.