Master of yachts 200gt (limited) MCA Approved International Yacht Training (IYT) Captain Certification Course
Captain superyachts registered in 25 countries, wherever they are cruising.
IYT master of yachts 200ton (Limited)
The International Yacht Training Master of Yachts 200ton course will qualify you for the MCA approved, internationally recognised Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Certificate, enabling you to crew to a rank of Captain or First Mate on super yachts registered in 23 countries around the world no matter where the yacht is located.
The Master of Yachts 200gt (Limited) certification will allow you to work as:
- Master/Captain/Skipper on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, up to 150 miles offshore,
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessels in all oceans,
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore,
- Officer of the Watch of 500 ton vessels in all oceans.
Superyacht Captains are responsible for the safe operation of the vessel in port and at sea, including all operational decisions, navigation, docking, anchoring, maneuvering the vessel and dealing with port and government officials. Captains are also personal assistants to the owner, yard & project managers when coordinating refit & new build projects, financial accountants for crews salaries, charter expenditures, and personnel recruitment agents. Captains are in charge of every aspect of yacht management.
The Captain sets the tone & image for the yacht by finding a way of commanding a productive & contented crew. A sound engineering background usually assists in the smooth mechanical operations onboard. The Engineer & Captain work hand in hand to maintain the highest levels of marine safety for all onboard. MCA/STCW 95+10/USCG/ IYT/DOT licensed & insurable for foreign flagged vessels & USL licensed vessels whether it is motor or sail become pre-requisites for Insurance companies.
Three Certifications with one course:
The Master of Yachts course, and a bridging course, provide the full Master up to 24m Near Coastal training required by the Australian Roads and Maritime Services Certificate of Competency - you get two certifications with one course! click here for more information on the bridging course.
If you are a holder of the MOY limited 200t (offshore) qualification and you plan to skipper a recreational charter vessel in Italy, Greece, Croatia, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia in Europe you can also apply to have an International Certificate of Competency for the ICC endorsements Sail -24m, -80gt or Power -10m or Power -24m, -80gt depending on which endorsement you select. - Price of certificate and logbook - $160.
Master <24m NC to Master of Yachts 200 gt (limited) Crossover Course:
If you already hold an Australian Master up to 24m Near Coastal (or Master Class V) certification and wish to work on internationally based yachts, you are eligible to crossover to the IYT Master of Yachts 200ton Limited certificate by completing an online exam, plus a 1 day practical assessment if applicable for dual (power & sail) endorsement. Click Here for Details of the Master 5 to MOY 200ton Crossover Course.
IYT Master of Yachts 200ton (Limited) Prerequisites
- Practical and theory skills to a level of competency of Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gt including Navigation, Colregs and Bouyage. If you do not have these skills you can take a "catch up" course prior to the Master of Yachts 200ton (limited) Course.
- 50 days on board a yacht at sea as an active member of the crew . (A day is 24 consecutive hours. At sea is outside a harbour)
- 3000 miles logged on a yacht while cruising at sea.
- 6 rhumb line passages >60nm acting as Master.
- 30 hours on watch at night as an active member of a yacht's crew, acting as
skipper/watch keeper for at least 6 hours
- If you hold the IYT Coastal/Mate 200t, only 1500 additional miles are required.
- 3 additional passages >60nm as Master.
- 2 nights of the practical training must be conducted underway, not at anchor.
- Complete 2 practical assessments, one on a power vessel and one on a sail vessel
- Seatime evidence: 2 separate submissions are required
- Primary endorsement: seatime as stated above
- Secondary endorsement: seatime as stated above, with a reduction of 30% (i.e. 35 days/2,100nm/4 rhumb line passages/21 night hours on watch)
Your sea experience must have been done within the last 5 years. You will be provided with a seatime form so you can submit and lay out your seatime relative to the requirements above. Captains do not have to sign this original form however you need to provide additional evidence to prove your seatime eg: log books, sea time records, letters from captains and testimonials, statutory declarations, photos of vessels etc.
Verification of experience must be signed by the skipper of the yacht(s) you were on. If you were the captain, you may sign the log entries, but need independent proof that can be verified by IYT.
You may take the course before logging the minimum experience, but you will not be issued the Master of Yachts 200 Tons (Limited) Certificate until all the requirements have been met.
New Seatime Requirements Effective August 1, 2016
Overview of Changes:
- 3000 Miles required.
- 50% (1500 miles) must be on vessels <24m*
- 6 passages of >60 NM during which the candidate has held a position of responsibility
such as watch keeper. During at least two of these the candidate must have acted as the
master or watch leader of the vessel.
For a candidate who holds the IYT MOY Coastal/Mate 200 Tons certificate:
- 1500 miles required – may be on vessels over 24 m
- 3 passages of >60 NM during which the candidate has held a position of responsibility such as watch keeper. During at least two of these the candidate must have acted as the master or watch leader of the vessel.
*Note that the Vessel type for accruing seatime must be a minimum of 8m and be a cruising vessel capable of being overnighted on, with bunks for the whole crew, heads and galley. Time on RIBs, Tenders and outboard driven boats will not count for MOY seatime.
For those holding seatime accrued before 1 Aug 2015 there will be a grandfather period to allow transition. Candidates who have 1000 miles accrued on any size of vessel before 1 Aug 2016 will be allowed to continue to accumulate their 3000 miles on any size of vessel. However it is recommended that ALL candidates should have real vessel handling experience prior to attending the MOY Limited course preferably on vessels under 24 m.
To complete the IYT MOY 200 gt (Limited) certification you will also need to have:
- STCW certification, which includes first aid, fire fighting, sea survival, personal/social responsibilities and Security
- VHF/HF radio operator's licence or marine radio certificate from a recognized teaching authority.
- A medical exam and eyesight colour blindness test taken within the last 2 years.
- Be at least 18 years of age
If you have no experience, or have not yet reached this level of pre-course skill, then Superyacht Crew Academy offers you the opportunity to reach this level with our Fastrak program. You will then be able to sign up for this course.
The main features of the IYT MOY 200ton (Limited) training course
The Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) commercial training is divided into shore based theory and practical sea training components and may be taken separately or together :
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Theory
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Practical
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Exam
Course Duration - 12 days
- Shore Based Theory – 6 days
- Practical Training – 6 days live aboard
- You will also need to complete STCW95+10 if you do not have this qualification.
Please note that partaking in and completing the course does not give you a guarantee of passing the exam. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
Superyacht Training Location
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, CLICK HERE
Single Endorsement AUD$4,850.
Dual Endorsement AUD$5,950.
(plus the cost of the STCW 95+10 courses if you do not have this certification and a registration fee if you wish the ICC documentation for skippering in Europe).
- IYT Master of Yachts Limited Theory Manual
- Course charts, navigation instruments and equipment
- Fully provisioned meals on practical live aboard
- Safety gear
- Examiner and boat fees, conducted on final day of course
- IYT/MCA recognised commercial Certificate upon successfully passing the exam
To convert Australian Dollars to your currency CLICK HERE
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.