Master of yachts 200gt (limited) MCA Approved International Yacht Training (IYT) Captain Certification Course
Captain superyachts registered in 25 countries, wherever they are cruising.
IYT master of yachts 200ton (Limited)
The International Yacht Training Master of Yachts 200ton course will qualify you for the MCA approved, internationally recognised Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Certificate, enabling you to crew to a rank of Captain or First Mate on super yachts registered in 23 countries around the world no matter where the yacht is located.
The Master of Yachts 200gt (Limited) certification will allow you to work as:
- Master/Captain/Skipper on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, up to 150 miles offshore,
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessels in all oceans,
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore,
- Officer of the Watch of 500 ton vessels in all oceans.
Superyacht Captains are responsible for the safe operation of the vessel in port and at sea, including all operational decisions, navigation, docking, anchoring, maneuvering the vessel and dealing with port and government officials. Captains are also personal assistants to the owner, yard & project managers when coordinating refit & new build projects, financial accountants for crews salaries, charter expenditures, and personnel recruitment agents. Captains are in charge of every aspect of yacht management.
The Captain sets the tone & image for the yacht by finding a way of commanding a productive & contented crew. A sound engineering background usually assists in the smooth mechanical operations onboard. The Engineer & Captain work hand in hand to maintain the highest levels of marine safety for all onboard. MCA/STCW 95+10/USCG/ IYT/DOT licensed & insurable for foreign flagged vessels & USL licensed vessels whether it is motor or sail become pre-requisites for Insurance companies.
Three Certifications with one course:
The Master of Yachts course, and a bridging course, provide the full Master up to 24m Near Coastal training required by the Australian Roads and Maritime Services Certificate of Competency - you get two certifications with one course! click here for more information on the bridging course.
If you are a holder of the MOY limited 200t (offshore) qualification and you plan to skipper a recreational charter vessel in Italy, Greece, Croatia, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia in Europe you can also apply to have an International Certificate of Competency for the ICC endorsements Sail -24m, -80gt or Power -10m or Power -24m, -80gt depending on which endorsement you select. - Price of certificate and logbook - $160.
Master <24m NC to Master of Yachts 200 gt (limited) Crossover Course:
If you already hold an Australian Master up to 24m Near Coastal (or Master Class V) certification and wish to work on internationally based yachts, you are eligible to crossover to the IYT Master of Yachts 200ton Limited certificate by completing an online exam, plus a 1 day practical assessment if applicable for dual (power & sail) endorsement. Click Here for Details of the Master 5 to MOY 200ton Crossover Course.
IYT Master of Yachts 200ton (Limited) Prerequisites
- Be at least 18 years of age and have practical and theory skills to a level of competency of Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gt including Navigation, Colregs and Bouyage. If you do not have these skills you can take a "catch up" course or private lesson prior to the Master of Yachts 200ton (limited) Course.
- STCW certification, which includes first aid, fire fighting, sea survival, personal/social responsibilities and security
- VHF/HF radio operator's licence or marine radio certificate from a recognized marine authority.
- A current medical exam and eyesight colour blindness test taken within the last 2 years.
- There is a pre-course navigation assessment that will be provided and must be completed prior to enrolling in the course.
- IYT requires that all candidates must have the required sea time accrued PRIOR to enrolling in the course.
- The maximum time frame to produce any outstanding requirements is 1 year, failure to do so within the 1 year time frame will result in the entire course needing to be re-taken.
- If you have no experience, or have not yet reached this level of pre-course skill, then Superyacht Crew Academy offers you the opportunity to reach this level with our Fastrak program. You will then be able to sign up for this course after completing the Fastrack program.
Sea Service Required
- If you were the captain, you may sign the log entries, but need independent proof that can be verified by IYT.
- You will be provided with an IYT sea time form so you can lay out your sea time relative to the requirements below, along with a statutory declaration which will need to be signed by a justice of the peace. Along with the sea time form and statutory declaration you must provide evidence of your sea service in the form of log books, sea time records, letters and testimonials from captains or management companies, photos of vessel etc.
- Candidates must have considerable time of actual vessel handling experience and will not be issued the Master of Yachts 200 Tons (Limited) Certificate until all the requirements have been met.
Single Endorsement (Power or Sail)
- Candidates must provide documented evidence of boating experience as stated below:
- Logged 50 days on board a yacht at sea as an active crew member on watch. For the purpose of this requirement, a day is defined as a period of 24 consecutive hours. The term “at sea” is defined as being on a vessel outside of any harbour – natural or artificial – in which a cruising yacht could secure or anchor for a prolonged period of time.
- Logged 3,000 miles in a yacht while cruising at sea (power or sail). This must be on genuine cruises or passages, not short day trips. The candidate must have considerable time of actual vessel handling.
- Thirty hours on watch at night underway as an active member of a yacht’s crew.
Dual Endorsement (Power & Sail)
- Experience and sea service on both power and sailing vessels is required. Operating a sailing vessel under motor is not acceptable as power sea service.
- Two separate practical assessments over two days must be completed, one on a power vessel and one on a sail vessel
- Seatime evidence: two separate submissions are required
- Primary endorsement: seatime as stated above
- Secondary endorsement: seatime as stated above, with a reduction of 30% (i.e. 35 days/2,100nm/21 night hours on watch)
The main features of the IYT MOY 200ton (Limited) training course
The Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) commercial training is divided into shore based theory and practical sea training components and may be taken separately or together :
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Theory
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Practical
- IYT Master of Yachts 200 gt (Limited) Exam
Course Duration - 14 days
- Shore Based Theory – 8 days
- Week 1: Thursday-Saturday
- Week 2: Monday-Friday
- Practical Training – 6 days live aboard
- Week 3: Sunday-Friday
- Meals provided from Sunday lunch-Friday lunch
- Accommodation provided from Sunday-Thursday (5 nights - bring your own sleeping bag)
- You will also need to complete STCW95+10 if you do not have this qualification.
Please note that partaking in and completing the course does not give you a guarantee of passing the exam. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
CERTIFICATION YOU WILL ACHIEVE
- International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT), MCA approved Master of Yachts Limited Shorebased Course
- International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT), MCA approved Master of Yachts Limited 200 tons POWER &/OR SAIL*
Superyacht Training Location
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, CLICK HERE
Single Endorsement AUD$5,495.
Dual Endorsement AUD$6,995.
(plus the cost of the STCW 95+10 courses if you do not have this certification and a registration fee if you wish the ICC documentation for skippering in Europe).
- IYT Master of Yachts Limited Theory Manual
- Course charts, navigation instruments and equipment
- Fully provisioned meals on practical live aboard
- Safety gear
- Examiner and boat fees, conducted on final day of course
- IYT/MCA recognised commercial Certificate upon successfully passing the exam
To convert Australian Dollars to your currency CLICK HERE
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.