Master of yachts 200gt (Unlimited)Book Now
MCA approved International Yacht Training (IYT) Superyacht Crew Academy Maritime Captain and First Mate Course
Captain superyachts registered in 23 countries, on international voyages.
IYT master of yachts 200ton (Unlimited)
The IYT Master of Yachts 200ton (Unlimited) training programme will qualify you for the MCA approved, internationally recognised Master of Yachts 200 gt (Unlimited) Certificate, enabling you to crew to a rank of Captain on super yachts registered in 23 countries around the world no matter where the yacht is located and to captain the vessel on international voyages.
This certification will allow you to work as:
- Master/Captain/Skipper or Chief Mate on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, in all oceans,
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore,
- Officer of the Watch of 500 ton vessels in all oceans.
This certification is accepted as the Celestial Navigation exam prerequisite for the MCA Master of Yachts 3000gt and Mate 300gt.
This course is equivalent to the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean/Astro Navigation course, however unlike the RYA course, the IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited course holds all the theory and practical training and assessments in the single week course, rather than completing the practical component in the students own time, and is a fully commercially endorsed certification.
Superyacht Captains are responsible for the safe operation of the vessel in port and at sea, including all operational decisions, navigation, docking, anchoring, maneuvering the vessel and dealing with port and government officials. Captains are also personal assistants to the owner, yard & project managers when coordinating refit & new build projects, financial accountants for crews salaries, charter expenditures, and personnel recruitment agents. Captains are in charge of every aspect of yacht management.
The Captain sets the tone & image for the yacht by finding a way of commanding a productive & contented crew. A sound engineering background usually assists in the smooth mechanical operations onboard. The Engineer & Captain work hand in hand to maintain the highest levels of marine safety for all onboard. MCA/STCW 95+10/USCG/ IYT/DOT licensed & insurable for foreign flagged vessels & USL licensed vessels whether it is motor or sail become pre-requisites for Insurance companies.
Master of Yachts 200ton (Unlimited) Prerequisites
- You must hold a valid and current IYT Master of Yachts 200 ton (Limited) Certificate, MCA Officer of the Watch (OOW) or unrestricted AMSA Master <35m NC (Master 4).
- Hold all required STCW95/10 Manila amended certificates.
- Have a current medical fitness, eyesight certificate.
- Proof of sea time of an OCEAN (not Coastal) voyage of either 2 trips of 250 miles, or 1 trip of 500 miles 20 miles or more from the coast.
The passage plan made for the qualifying voyage will be used in the course for review and debriefing purposes. We strongly recommend you do the passage/s be prior to the course. You may do the voyage(s) after the course but doing it first will greatly improve your chances of a successful course outcome).
To complete the Master of Yachts 200 ton (Unlimited) certification you will also need to:
- Complete the Master of Yachts 200 ton (Unlimited) Theory Course
- Pass a written examination on the celestial syllabus
- Prepare a two hour passage plan under examination conditions in the classroom on the last, (6th) day of the course.
- Take and reduce sextant sights during the course.
- Create an ocean passage plan of at least 600nm along with relevant sun sight preparations.
THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE IYT MASTER OF YACHTS 200TON (UNLIMITED) TRAINING COURSE
The course consists of 6 days of astronavigation and worldwide meteorology. A thorough knowledge of all subjects covered in the IYT Master of Yachts Limited course is assumed. There will be a final written examination on the last day of the course.
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun sights
- Planet sights
- Starsight planning
- The pole star
- Moon sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite navigation systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning
The final exam will include IYT Master of Yachts 200tons Ocean Theory on Sun, Planets & Stars, Practical Sights of Sun Run Sun or Sun Run Meridian, and Passage Planning.
The main features of the IYT Master of Yachts 200ton (Unlimited) training course
- Celestial sun and star sights training
- IYT Master of Yachts 200tons Ocean Theory, Theory Exam on Sun, Planets & Stars; Practical Sights of Sun Run Sun or Sun Run Meridian; and Passage Plan.
Sea & Shore Based training – 6 days
Completing the course does not guarantee passing the exam. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
Superyacht Training Location
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, CLICK HERE
When do the courses run?
- November: 19-24 2018
- February: 18-23 2019
- April: 08-13 2019
- Digital IYT MOY Ocean Theory Manual
- Course charts and tables, navigation equipment
- Fully provisioned meals on practical live aboard
- Boat accommodation during theory course
- IYT/MCA recognised Certificate upon successfully passing the exam
To convert Australian Dollars to your currency CLICK HEREBook Now