Master of yachts coastal/mate 200gt
Superyacht Crew Academy MCA Approved International Yacht Training (IYT) Captain/First Mate Course
Become the captain or first mate on superyachts registered in 25 countries.
IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200ton
The Superyacht Crew Academy IYT Master of Yachts Coastal / Mate 200ton training program will qualify you for the MCA approved, internationally recognised Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200ton Certificate, enabling you to crew as Captain or First Mate in coastal waters on super yachts registered in 25 countries around the world.
The Master of Yachts 200gt Coastal/Mate 200ton certification will allow you to work as:
- Master/Captain/Skipper on commercial and private vessels up to 200 ton displacement, up to 60 nautical miles offshore,
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessels up to 150 nautical miles offshore,
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessels up to 60 nautical miles offshore,
Superyacht Captains are responsible for the safe operation of the vessel in port and at sea and are also personal assistants to the owner, financial accountants for crews salaries, charter expenditures, and personnel recruitment agents. Captains are in charge of every aspect of yacht management.
Chief Mates work closely with the Captain, Engineer, Deck & Interior Crew, maintaining a level of perfection on deck. Chief Mates need to be well versed in the art of polishing, varnishing, Outboard engine maintenance & Repair, Navigational & Boat handling skills, Scuba diving Certification and expertise, safe fueling techniques and again Yacht etiquette all become an integral part of a Mate's duties.
Master of Yachts Coastal/mate 200ton Prerequisites
- Practical and theory skills to a level of competency of International Yachtmaster
Coastal Skipper including basic navigation and colregs. Click here to review these standards.
(If you have no qualifications or prior experience you can sign up for the fastrack to mate 200ton program.)
- 30 days onboard a yacht at sea as an active crew member
- 800 logged miles within the last 5 years
- 2 days as watch leader or skipper and 12 hours underway on watch at night within the last 5 years
- VHF/HF radio operator's licence or marine radio certificate from a recognized maritime authority
You may take the course before logging the minimum experience, but you will not be issued the Master of Yachts Coastal / Mate 200 Tons Certificate until all the requirements have been met. Verification of experience must be signed by the skipper of the yacht(s) you were on. If you were the captain you may sign the log entries, but need independent proof that can be verified by IYT.
The main features of the IYT moy coastal/mate 200ton training course
The training course for the Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 ton qualification includes shore based and practical sea training.
- IYT Mate 200ton Theory
- IYT Mate 200ton Practical
- IYT Mate 200ton Exam
COURSE DURATION – 12 DAYS
- Shore Based Theory – 6 days
- Practical Training – 6 days live aboard
- You will also need to complete STCW95+10 if you do not have this qualification.
Please note that partaking in and completing the course does not give you a guarantee of passing the exam. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
Superyacht Training Location
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us, CLICK HERE
(Plus the cost of the STCW 95+10 Course if you do not have this qualification).
- IYT Master of Yachts Mate Theory Manual
- Course charts, navigation instruments and equipment
- Fully provisioned meals on practical live aboard
- Safety gear
- Examiner and boat fees, conducted on final day of course
- IYT/MCA recognised commercial Certificate upon successfully passing the exam
To convert Australian Dollars to your currency CLICK HERE
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.