Australian Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal to International Master of Yachts 200Ton (Mate) Coastal Crossover Course
Upgrade your Australian Coxswain Grade 1 NC ticket to a Master of Yachts 200ton (Mate) certification be a Chief Mate on superyachts registered in 23 countries wherever they might be.
Australian Coxswain Grade 1 NC Crossover To IYT Master of Yachts 200Ton (Mate) Coastal
If you would like to expand your horizons and work as a Chief Mate on the world’s finest super yachts anywhere in the world, you can now upgrade your Australian Coxswain Grade 1 NC certification to an International Yacht Training certified Master of Yachts 200 tons (Mate) Coastal for Sail or Motor driven vessels.
The Master of Yachts 200ton (Mate) certification will allow you to work on commercial and private vessels as:
- Master of <24m vessel up to 60 nautical miles offshore
- Chief Mate of 500 ton vessel up to 60 nautical miles offshore
- Chief Mate of 200 ton vessel up to 150 nautical miles offshore
As an added bonus you can also choose to achieve the Small Powerboat & RIB Master certification to operate small commercial vessels up to 15m in coastal regions.
There are three levels of IYT Master of Yachts Certification as outlined below. Crossing over from Coxswain Grade 1 NC will result in the Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 Tons.
- Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 tons
- Master of Yachts 200 Tons Limited
- Master of Yachts 200 Tons Unlimited
Each level of the Master of Yachts certification allows you to work in various positions on board. The MCA’s manning scale for motor and sail yachts (below) outlines these positions.
Certification You Will Achieve
- International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT), MCA approved Master of Yachts Mate 200 tons POWER &/OR SAIL*
- International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT), MCA approved Small Powerboat & RIB Master – Optional additional certification if requested.
Coxswain to Master of Yachts 200Ton (Mate) Crossover Requirements:
For Single (Power or Sail) Endorsement
For Single or Dual (Power &/or Sail) Endorsement
- Successfully complete the IYT Online Business & Maritime Law E-Learning exam
- You must have a valid unrestricted AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC certificate. If your rating is over 5 years old you will need to renew it.
- Hold all required STCW95/10 Manila amended certificates
- A current medical exam and eyesight colour blindness test. Medicals accepted include:
- ENG1 Medical
- AMSA Certificate of Medical Fitness for International Certificates (AMSA 303)
- AMSA Certificate of Medical Fitness for Domestic Seafarers (AMSA 1850) – This medical is not sufficient for employment in the superyacht industry, only for obtaining certification.
- IYT Eyesight & Medical Fitness Standard Form (Available on IYT’s website) – This medical is not sufficient for employment in the superyacht industry, only for obtaining certification.
- Have documents/signed sea time proof of the following requirements on a power or sailing vessel.
Sea time notes:
- Sea time must be on a yacht (at least 10m in length) which can be defined as a non-cargo carrying vessel for recreational or commercial charter purposes.
- You must be an active crew member at sea; therefore, a day is defined as a period of 8 consecutive hours.
- We do not accept shipyard service and stand-by service as sea time.
- The term “at sea” is defined as being on a vessel outside of any harbour – natural or artificial – in which a cruising yacht could secure or anchor for a prolonged period.
- The nautical miles must be on genuine cruises or passages, not short-day trips. The candidate must have considerable time of actual vessel handling.
- The minimum 1,500 nm for the power endorsement cannot include sea time on any monohull sailing vessel driven under power.
- The Night Hours must be ON WATCH while underway
Online E-learning exam can be done remotely, preferably within 7 days of booking.
- AUD$1,100 (power OR sail vessel endorsement)
- AUD$1,500 (BOTH sail AND power vessel endorsement)
- AUD$395 (Additional SPB & RIB Master certification) – Optional additional certification
Not applicable, online course only.